The area of Pointe-des-Monts, like the area of Anticosti Island, is an area dotted with shipwrecks along the coast. The large number of shipwrecks along the coast forced the creation of the Pointe-des-Monts lighthouse in 1829. It is the second lighthouse of the St. Lawrence.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the increase in maritime exchanges between the United Kingdom and its colonies in Canada multiplied the voyages of large ocean-going sailing ships and also, inevitably, shipwrecks. These often occurred during the dreaded autumn storms and the shipwrecked risked dying of cold and hunger while waiting for hypothetical help along a deserted coastline for hundreds of kilometers.
It was in this context that the maritime authorities decided to set up a network of lighthouses to guide ships and provide shelters with a food supply for shipwreck survivors.